Glenn Highway-Tok Cutoff
Connects: Tok to Anchorage, AK
Route#: Alaska Route 1
Length: 328 miles
Road Surface: Paved
Season: Open all year
Highest Pass: Eureka Summit, elev. 3,322 feet
Maps (3 detailed pdf files available):
Tok Cutoff (Mileposts GJ-125 to GJ 0) to Milepost A 160
Milepost A 160 to Anchorage, AK
Mat-Su Valley Vicinity
The Glenn Highway/Tok Cutoff is the principal access route from the Alaska Highway west to Anchorage, a distance of 328 miles. This paved all-weather route includes the 125-mile Tok Cutoff, between Tok and the Richardson Highway junction; a 14-mile link via the Richardson Highway; and the 189-mile Glenn Highway, between the Richardson Highway and Anchorage. The 139-mile stretch of the Glenn Highway between Anchorage and Eureka Summit is a National Scenic Byway. Road conditions are generally good along the Tok Cutoff and Glenn Highway, with a number of improved sections of highway that have been or are in the process of being realigned and widened.
The MILEPOST® Quick Reference Log
Miles from Tok (T) and Anchorage (A) shown.
- T 0 A 328 TOK at junction with the Alaska Highway; all services.
- T 0.2 A 327.8 Tok Motel, Liquor & Mini Mart phone 907-883-2582.
- T 2.2 A 325.8 Campground.
- T 15.8 A 312.2 Eagle Trail State Recreation Site: camping.
- T 26.5 A 301.5 Lodging, campsites.
- T 46.9 A 281.1 Mentasta Lodge; cafe, gas, diesel, propane, lodging. Open year-round
- T 60.8 A 267.2 Porcupine Creek State Recreation Site: camping.
- T 65.1 A 262.9 Junction with Nabesna Road; access to Slana Ranger Station at Mile 0.2 has informaiton on Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and road conditions; Hart D Ranch at Mile 0.5 has camping and lodging. Side trip to Dead Dog Hill Wayside at Mile 17.8 or Rock Lake Wayside at Mile 21.8 recommended. Nabesna Road deadends at Devils Mountain Lodge. Unmaintained road continues to Nabesna Gold Mine.
- T 72 A 256 Grizzly Lake Campground; cabins, camping, phone 907-822-5214.
- T 92.3 A 235.7 Red Eagle Lodge; lodging, camping at historic roadhouse site.
- T 123 A 205 Historic Gakona Lodge & Trading Post (est. 1929); open May–Oct., dinner June–August, lodging May-Oct.
- T 125 A 203 Junction with Richardson Highway at Gakona Junction.
- T 136 A 192 Dry Creek State Recreation Site: camping.
- T 139 A 189 Junction of the Richardson Highway with the Glenn Highway. The Hub of Alaska, 24-hour gas, diesel, propane, ATM, convenience store, phone 907-822-3555.
- T 141 A 187 GLENNALLEN (pop. 514); all services. Lodging and dining at The Caribou Hotel. Glennallen is headquarters for Ahtna Incorporated; Ahtna Land Use Permits may be purchased here, or go online.
- T 141.3 A 186.7 Cross Road Medical Center.
- T 155 A 173 Turnoff for Ranch House Lodge (RV hookups, cabins, tent sites, restaurant and bar). Also turnoff for Tolsona Wilderness Campground and RV Park (80 creekside campsites, hookups, tent sites, showers, laundromat, dump station, mini-store).
- T 168.2 A 159.8 Junction with 19.3-mile-long Lake Louise Road; fishing, lakeside lodges, camping at Lake Louise State Recreation Area. Food and lodging at The Point Lodge and Lake Louise Lodge.
- T 198.5 A 129.5 Eureka Summit (elev. 3,322 feet), highest point on the Glenn Highway.
- T 199.7 A 128.3 Eureka Lodge; gas, food
- T 213.1 A 114.9 Majestic Valley Lodge, lodging with gourmet meals, wildlife viewing.
- T 214.5 A 113.5 Sheep Mountain Lodge; restaurant, guest cabins, RV hookups, trail hiking.
- T 218.3 A 109.7 Grand View Cafe & RV Campground; meals, desserts, espresso, RV hookups, tent sites.
- T 218.5 A 109.5 Tundra Rose Guest Cottages; log cottages, wildlife and glacier viewing.
- T 225.8 A 102.2 Long Rifle Lodge; food, gas, lodging.
- T 225.9 A 102.1 Matanuska Glacier Access at Glacier Park.
- T 227 A 101 Matanuska Glacier State Recreation Site; camping, viewpoint, picnicking.
- T 233.3 A 94.7 Bear Den Cabins and Homestead Guest Cabins.
- T 242.6 A 85.4 Long Lake State Recreation Site; fishing, day-use.
- T 251.2 A 76.8 CHICKALOON (pop. 244). Matanuska River trips at Nova River Runners.
- T 251.8 A 76.2 King Mountain State Recreation Site: camping.
- T 266.4 A 61.6 Alpine Historical Park, a museum featuring the concrete foundation of the Sutton Coal Washery (1920-22).
- T 267 A 61 SUTTON-ALPINE (area pop. 1,428), general store, cafe and fire station.
- T 277.9 A 50.1 Turnoff on Archie Road to north for Musk-Ox Farm; tours, gift shop. (Watch slide show)
- T 278.5 A 49.5 Junction with Palmer-Fishhook Road/Hatcher Pass Road to Independence Mine State Historical Park (17.2 miles from this junction). Also access to Turner's Corner at Mile 6.5 with gas, diesel, grocery and liquor store, soft serve ice cream and Hatcher Pass B&B at Mile 6.6. Hatcher Pass Lodge is at Mile 17.2 with private cabins and restaurant.
- T 286 A 42 Junction with Old Glenn Highway which loops south 18.4 miles to rejoin the Glenn Highway at Milepost A 29.6. Access via Old Glenn to Mountain View RV Park (2.8 miles south from here), Knik Glacier Tours (9.8 miles from here) with daily tours to Knik Glacier in summer; and Matanuska River Park phone 907-861-8578 (Mat-Su Burough-owned) 1 mile from this junction.
- T 286 A 42 PALMER (pop. 6,117); dining, shopping, lodging. Visitor information. Attractions include Colony House Museum, Matanuska Valley Agricultural Showcase Gardens, and the annual Alaska State Fair.
- T 287.3 A 40.7 Alaska Choice Inn Motel, across from Alaska State Fairgrounds.
- T 288 A 40 Noisy Goose Cafe, serving breakfast all day; phone 907-746-4600.
- T 290.6 A 37.4 Kepler Park; camping, day-use, boat rentals, fishing.
- T 291.7 A 36.3 Fox Run Lodge & Campground; RV and tent camping, laundry, showers, restaurant.
- T 292.2 A 35.8 Glenn–Parks Interchange: Junction with Parks Highway (Alaska Route 3).
- T 298.4 A 29.6 Junction with Old Glenn Highway to Knik Glacier Tours (8.6 miles from here), Mountain View RV Park (15.6 miles from here) and Matanuska River Park (17 miles from here), a Mat-Su Burough-owned park.
- T 301.5 A 26.5 Exit for Eklutna Lake Recreation Area (10 miles), Chugach State Park; camping. Rochelle’s Ice Cream Stop/Store/Cabins/Gold Panning (9 miles). Westbound access to Thunderbird Falls (0.7 mile).
- T 302.8 A 25.2 Eastbound exit only to Thunderbird Falls.
- T 306.1 A 21.9 Exit to PETERS CREEK: food, gas, grocery and Bobby's Peter's Creek RV Park, phone 907- 688-2487.
- T 306.9 A 20.9 Exit to CHUGIAK (pop. 11,000): groceries, gas, diesel.
- T 310.8 A 17.2 St. John Orthodox Cathedral.
- T 314.6 A 13.4 Exit to EAGLE RIVER (pop. 24,000); all services. Eagle River Road to Eagle River Nature Center.
- T 316.4 A 11.6 Exit for Eagle River Campground, Chugach State Park: camping. Also access to South Fork Valley trailhead.
- T 320.5 A 7.5 Richardson Gate to Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson (JBER).
- T 323.6 A 4.4 Muldoon Road exit north to Alaska Native Heritage Center and Tikahtnu Commons Shopping Center; exit south for food, gas, lodging and municipal campground (Centennial Park).
- T 325 A 3 Boniface Gate to Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson (JBER).
- T 326.8 A 1.2 Bass Pro Shops Alaska Outpost.
- T 328 A 0 Downtown ANCHORAGE.