South Klondike Highway
Connects: Skagway, AK, to Alaska Highway, YT
Routes#: Alaska 98, BC 2, Yukon 2
Length: 98 miles
Road Surface: Paved
Season: Open all year
Highest Pass: White Pass, elev. 3,292 feet
Map (1 detailed pdf file available):
Skagway, AK to Alaska Highway Junction
The South Klondike Highway is 1 of 2 highways connecting Alaska Marine Highway ferry travelers with the Alaska Highway; the other is the Haines Highway out of Haines. The South Klondike Highway, like the Haines Highway, crosses from Alaska into British Columbia, then into Yukon. Also known as the Skagway–Carcross Road, the South Klondike Highway connects Skagway, AK, with the Alaska Highway at Milepost 874.4, 12 miles south of Whitehorse. It is a 2-lane, asphalt-surfaced road, open year-round (with customs at border crossing--be sure to check that customs is open before heading north or south). The South Klondike Highway offers some spectacular scenery as it climbs an 11 percent grade from sea level at Skagway to White Pass. The highway then winds through the subalpine landscape of Tormented Valley to Tutshi Lake, Tagish Lake and the picturesque Emerald Lake.
The MILEPOST® Quick Reference Log
Miles from Skagway (S) and Alaska Highway (AH) shown.
- S 0 AH 97.7 SKAGWAY; all services.
- S 1.2 AH 96.5 RV camping at Garden City RV Park phone 866-983-2378 or 907-983-2378.
- S 2 AH 95.7 Jewell Gardens & Glassworks; showcase garden, glass-blowing studio, gift shop, G-scale railroad and a restaurant.
- S 2.5 AH 95.2 Junction with Dyea Road to Chilkoot Trail.
- S 6.8 AH 90.9 U.S. Customs and Border Protection; open daily 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. (Alaska Time), 8 a.m. to midnight (Pacific Time).
- S 14.3 AH 83.4 White Pass Summit (elev. 3,292 feet).
- S 14.7 (24 km) AH 83 (133.6 km) U.S.–Canada (AK–BC) border.
- S 22.5 (36.5 km) AH 75.2 (121 km) Fraser, Canada Border Services; open daily 8 a.m. to midnight (Pacific Time), 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. (Alaska Time).
- S 53.5 AH 44.2 Conrad Yukon government campground.
- S 65.8 (105.9 km) AH 32.9 (52.1 km) CARCROSS (pop. 399); food, groceries, gas, diesel, camping, gift shops, scenic rail tours. Visitor information: Visitor Reception Centre located in the historic White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad depot.
- S 65.9 (106.1 km) AH 32.6 (52.5 km) Carcross Tagish First Nation's Campground.
- S 66.6 (107.7 km) AH 31.1 (50 km) Carcross Desert the world's smallest desert.
- S 67.9 (109.3 km) AH 29.8 (47.9 km) Caribou Crossing Trading Post has a massive display in its wildlife gallery which includes the world's largest polar bear mount, a life-size woolly mammoth; a Mountie Museum; as well as dog cart rides and visits with husky puppies. End (or begin) your visit with a stop at their cafe with soups, sandwiches and sweet treats.
- S 72.7 (117.6 km) AH 25 (40.2 km) Emerald Lake (also known as Rainbow Lake) viewpoint.
- S 97.7 (157.8 km) AH 0 Junction with the Alaska Highway at Milepost DC 874.4. It is 12 miles/19 km northwest to Whitehorse, 262 miles/422 km southeast to Watson Lake.