Ross River is located on the Pelly River, 233 miles northwest of Watson Lake via a 7 mile side road from the Campbell Highway. The North Canol Road begins across the Pelly River from Ross River. Neither of the Canol Roads is logged by The MILEPOST® at this time and neither are they recommended for tourist traffic.
Visitor Information: In Faro, at the Campbell Region Interpretive Centre.
Ross River is a supply and communication base for prospectors testing and mining mineral bodies in this region. It was named by Robert Campbell in 1843 for Chief Trader Donald Ross of the Hudson’s Bay Co. Ross River is one of 2 Kaska Dena communities in the Yukon.
The Dene General Store has a gas station with diesel, groceries and some merchandise. There is a Toronto–Dominion bank (no ATM) and a post office. Internet access is available at the Community Campus of Yukon College and at the public library.
Camping at Lapie Canyon Yukon government campground north of town.
- Canoeing the Pelly River.
- Wildlife viewing for moose, bear, wolves, lynx, Fannin sheep, caribou and migratory birds.
- Rockhounding for jaspers and agates.