Grimshaw is located at the junction of Alberta Highways 2 and 35 (Mile 0 of the Mackenzie Highway on the Deh Cho Route), 104 miles north of Grande Prairie.
Visitor Information: Look for the NAR railway car adjacent the centennial monument marking Mile 0 of the Mackenzie Highway), Town of Grimshaw, phone: 780-332-4626.
Grimshaw developed as a shipping centre for surrounding farms with the arrival of the Central Canada Railroad in 1921. It was established as a village in 1930, and became a town in 1953. It was named for Dr. M.E. Grimshaw, a doctor in Peace River Crossing, who served as Grimshaw’s mayor. Local resources are wheat and grains, livestock, gravel, lumber, gas and oil. As Mile 0 of the Mackenzie Highway to Northwest Territories, Grimshaw is also an important tourist stop.
Grimshaw has the Dee-Jay Motel (phone 780-332-4298) a hotel, service stations, car washes, a laundromat, campgrounds, a recreation park and all other visitor facilities.
- Get your photo taken in front of the Mackenzie Highway Mile Zero Monument.