Fort McPherson is located on the Dempster Highway, 114 miles south of Inuvik on the Peel River.
Visitor Information: Hamlet of Fort McPherson at Box 57, Fort McPherson, NT Canada X0E 0J0; phone 867-952-2428.
Fort McPherson was named in 1848 for Murdoch McPherson, chief trader of the Hudson’s Bay Co., which had established its first posts in the area 8 years before.
In addition to subsistence fishing and hunting, income is earned from trapping (mostly muskrat and mink), handicrafts, government employment, and commercial enterprises.
This is a pleasant Gwich’in community with 2 grocery/general stores and 2 service stations with gas/diesel. Lodging at the Peel River Inn, an Inns North location. Fort McPherson Tent and Canvas factory produces canvas items; outlet shop at factory for shoppers. Camping near town at Nitainlaii Territorial Park.
- Photos and artifacts depicting the history and way of life of the community are displayed in the Chief Julius School.
- Visit the Fort McPherson Tent & Canvas Factory.
- Buried in the cemetery outside the Anglican church is the Lost Patrol Gravesite: Inspector Francis J. Fitzgerald and 3 men from the ill-fated North West Mounted Police patrol of 1910–1911 between Fort McPherson and Dawson.
- Wildlife watching, adventure tours and canoe trips along the Peel River.