Fort Liard is located on the Liard Trail, 131 miles north of Fort Nelson, BC, and 176 miles south of Fort Simpson, NT.
Visitor Information: Visitor Information Centre/Acho Dene Native Crafts (closed Sundays), phone 867-770-4161. Hamlet of Fort Liard, General Delivery, Fort Liard, NT, Canada X0G 0A0; phone 867-770-4104.
The North West Co. established a trading post near here at the confluence of the Liard and Petitot rivers called Riviere aux Liards in 1805. The post was abandoned after the massacre of more than a dozen residents by Indians. It was taken over by the Hudson’s Bay Co. in 1821 and re-established in 1822 when the 2 companies merged. The well-known geologist Charles Camsell was born at Fort Liard in 1876.
Lodging, groceries, hardware and sundries available at Liard Valley General Store and Motel (at the far end of main street). Gas, diesel, propane and fishing and hunting licenses available here at the Fort Liard Fuel Centre (which includes Sisters Cafe, crafts and groceries). Post office at the Northern. ATM at the Liard Valley General Store. There is the modern Echo Dene School. There is no bank in Fort Liard.
Community-run Hay Lake Campground has 12 campsites (no power or hook-ups), sani-dump, potable water, free firewood, picnic tables, cooking shelter, toilets and a hiking trail around the lake. Bring insect repellent. There is no charge for these sites.
- Fishing for pike, pickerel, goldeye and spring grayling at the confluence of the Liard and Petitot rivers.
- Check out the Acho Dene Native Crafts Store to shop for quill-decorated birchbark berry baskets and bowls (a Fort Liard specialty), beaded moccasins and mukluks, moose-hair tufting, miniature birchbark canoes and many other traditional native handicrafts.