Eagle is located at the end of the Taylor Highway on the south bank of the Yukon River, 171 miles from Tok, 94 miles from Chicken and 143 miles from Dawson City, YT.
Francois Mercier established his Belle Isle trading post here in 1880 to serve miners working the upper Yukon and its tributaries.
Fort Egbert was established in 1899, and it became a key communications center when the Washington-Alaska Military Cable and Telegraph System (WAMCATS) was completed in 1903. Judge James Wickersham established the first federal court in the Interior of Alaska at Eagle in 1900. But by 1910, gold strikes in Fairbanks and Nome had lured away many of Eagle’s residents, and with the conversion to wireless communications, most of the U.S. Army left Fort Egbert in 1911. Today Eagle is a popular jumping-off point for Yukon River travelers.
Visitor services in Eagle include accommodations at the Falcon Inn Bed and Breakfast 907-547-2254, gas stations, a grocery store, laundromat and mechanic shop with tire repair. Camping at Eagle BLM campground. Eagle has a library and post office.
- The Wickersham Courthouse houses the museum. The Eagle Historical Society offers a 2-hour walking tour of Eagle Historic District phone 907-547-2325.
- Visit Fort Egbert, a National Historic Landmark: 5 of the 45 original structures have been restored.
- Canoes, kayaks and rafts float 175 miles of the Yukon River through Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve (between Eagle and Circle). Stop by the National Park Service visitor center in Eagle for details and information.