West Access Route
Connects: Seattle, WA, to Dawson Creek, BC
Routes#: I-5, Trans-Canada 1, BC 97
Length: 807 miles/1,299 km
Road Surface: Paved
Season: Open all year
Maps (3 detailed pdf files available):
Seattle, WA to Lac La Hache, BC
Lac La Hache, BC to Dawson Creek, BC
Chilcotin Highway Map
For West Coast motorists, the West Access Route is the most direct route to Dawson Creek, BC, and the start of the Alaska Highway. The West Access Route links Interstate 5, Trans-Canada Highway 1 and BC Highway 97. The West Access Route junctions with Yellowhead Highway 16 at Prince George. This east–west highway connects Prince George with Prince Rupert, departure point for Alaska ferries, and with Edmonton on the East Access Route.
Side trips and secondary routes along the West Access Route include: Highway 99, the “Sea to Sky Highway,” a scenic, mountainous route between Vancouver and the Cariboo; Highway 26 to Barkerville, a provincial historic town dating back to the 1860s; Highway 29 south to Tumbler Ridge; and Highway 29 north, the “Hudson’s Hope Loop” to the Alaska Highway.
The MILEPOST® Quick Reference Log
Miles from Seattle (S) shown.
- S 0 SEATTLE (pop. 620,778); all services.
- S 91 Exit 256 from Interstate 5 to junction with SR 539N to Lynden and Canadian border crossing at Sumas.
- S 114 U.S.–Canada border at Sumas, WA–Huntingdon, BC.
- S 116 Junction of BC Highway 11 and Trans-Canada Highway 1.
- S 130.6 Exit 116 to CHILLIWACK (pop. 81,000), all services. Visitor information. Access to Cottonwood Meadows RV Country Club via Luckakuck Way.
- S 132.7 Exit 119 to Vedder Road and Chilliwack city centre; all services; camping at Chilliwack Lake Provincial Park and Cultus Lake Provincial Park.
- S 142.5 Bridal Veil Falls Provincial Park; gas/diesel, lodging, camping.
- S 163 Skagit Valley Provincial Park, Silver Lake Provincial Park.
- S 164.5 Exit 170 to Hope for northbound travelers.
- S 166 HOPE (pop. 6,667); all services.
- S 177.2 Yale Campground, Emory Creek Provincial Park, camping.
- S 181 YALE (pop. 200); store and gas.
- S 199.8 Hell’s Gate Airtram over Fraser River Canyon.
- S 206.8 BOSTON BAR (pop. 885); food, gas, lodging, camping.
- S 233.2 Junction with Highway 12 to Lytton.
- S 238 Skihist Provincial Park campground, camping.
- S 250 Goldpan Provincial Park campground, camping.
- S 256.4 SPENCES BRIDGE (pop. 25). Highway services include Log Cabin Pub and Acacia Grove RV Park & Cabins.
- S 286 Junction with Trans-Canada 1 at CACHE CREEK (pop. 1,050); all services. A 2,850-lb. jade boulder is on display outside the Cariboo Jade Shoppe. Camping at Brookside Campsite.
- S 295 Historic Hat Creek Ranch to west; interpretive tours, stagecoach rides. Junction with Highway 99 (Sea to Sky Highway) which leads southwest to Lilloett (48 miles), Pemberton (109 miles), Whistler (129 miles) and north Vancouver (192 miles).
- S 311 CLINTON (pop. 740); food, gas, lodging and camping at Gold Trail RV Park and Campground. Visitor information. Clinton Museum located in red brick building that once served as a courthouse.
- S 330.4 70 MILE HOUSE: food, gas, lodging.
- S 356 100 MILE HOUSE (pop. 1,200); all services. Visitor information: South Cariboo Visitor Centre; South Cariboo Tourism.
- S 364.5 108 Mile Ranch Heritage Site and rest area to west.
- S 368.6 Big Country Campground & RV Park.
- S 371.7 LAC LA HACHE (pop. 400); food, gas, lodging, camping.
- S 377.7 Kokanee Bay Motel and Campground; motel, cabins, boat rentals.
- S 380.5 Lac La Hache Provincial Park campground (to east) and picnic area (to west).
- S 402.4 150 MILE HOUSE (pop. 1,275); food, gas/diesel.
- S 410.7 Williams Lake and Cariboo Chilcotin Coast Visitor information at the Tourism Discovery Centre; open year-round. Signal Point Gaming (slot machines, bingo, restaurant, free overnight RV parking) adjacent visitor centre.
- S 412.2 WILLIAMS LAKE (pop. 12,000) at junction of Highways 97 and 20 (Chilcotin Highway); all services. Junction with the Chilcotin Highway which leads 279 miles west to BELLA COOLA (pop. 2,200).
- S 439.3 McLeese Lake; general store, post office, liquor store. Camping at Kelly's Campsite, phone 250-297-6599.
- S 446.7 Cariboo Wood Shop; Canadian-made gifts and souvenirs, and 20 flavors of fudge.
- S 472.2 Kersley (unincorporated); food, gas/diesel, lodging.
- S 482 Traffic light; food, gas/diesel, lodging, Walmart and other South Quesnel businesses.
- S 485.6 QUESNEL (pop. 10,561); all services. Attractions include Quesnel & District Museum and Archives andQuesnel Farmers Market (Saturdays from May to October). Visitor information: Quesnel Museum and Visitor Centre in Le Bourdais Park.
- S 489 Junction with Highway 26 which leads 51 miles east to Barkerville Provincial Historic Town; open mid-May to late September.
- S 493 Cabins, camping at Lazy Daze Resort; also camping and swimming at 10 Mile Lake Provincial Park.
- S 5253 HIXON (pop. 500), food, gas/diesel, lodging, camping at Canyon Creek Campground.
- S 548.6 Mama Yeh RV Park.
- S 555.3 Gas station with diesel; turnoff for Prince George airport.
- S 559.6 PRINCE GEORGE (pop. 85,035) at junction with Yellowhead Highway 16 to Edmonton and Prince Rupert. Prince George has all services including dining, gas, shopping, lodging, auto/RV repair. Visitor information. Attractions include Railway & Forestry Museum, The Exploration Place and Two Rivers Gallery (go toGolden Raven).
- S 571.1 Northland RV Park.
- S 585 Huble Homestead Historic Site; pioneer homestead and trading post, interpretive tours May–Oct.
- S 606 Crooked River Provincial Park: camping.
- S 607 BEAR LAKE (pop. 300): gas.
- S 633.2 Whiskers Bay Resort; food, lodging, camping.
- S 638.3 Whiskers Point Provincial Park campground.
- S 645.1 McLeod Lake; store and post office.
- S 650.6 Tudyah Lake Provincial Park campground.
- S 656 Food, gas, diesel at junction with Highway 39 which leads 18 miles north to MACKENZIE (pop. 4,500), all services. Visitor information.
- S 676 Bijoux Falls Provincial Park (day-use).
- S 679.8 Pine Pass (elev, 3,061 feet/933m).
- S 738 Caron Creek RV Park, phone 250-788-2522.
- S 747.5 CHETWYND (pop. 3,119); all services. Visitor information. International Chainsaw Carving Championship in June.
- S 746.5 Junction with Highway 29 North which leads 11.7 miles north to Moberly Lake Provincial Park (camping, swimming) and 39.5 miles north to HUDSON'S HOPE (pop. 1,012); food, gas, lodging, Visitor Information. Major attraction at Hudson's Hope is the nearby W.A.C. Bennett Dam.
- S 749.2 Junction with Highway 29 South which leads 56.7 miles south to TUMBLER RIDGE (pop. 3,500); food, gas, lodging. Visitor information. Attractions include Dinosaur Discovery Gallery. Gravel road access to Kinuseo Falls (37 miles south from Tumbler Ridge).
- S 782 Groundbirch (unincorporated); store, liquor outlet, gas, diesel, propane.
- S 797 Junction with Heritage Highway 52, which leads 59.6 miles south to Tumbler Ridge.
- S 804.3 Northern Lights RV Park.
- S 804.6 Tubby's Car Wash & RV Park, phone 250-782-2584.
- S 804.8 Junction with Highway 2 at DAWSON CREEK (pop. 11,800), all services. Visitor information at NAR Park. Mile "O" RV Park & Campground adjacent Rotary Lake and the Pioneer Village.