Connects: Tern Lake Junction, Seward Highway to Homer, AK
Routes#: Alaska 1
Length: 142 miles
Road Surface: Paved
Season: Open all year
Maps (2 detailed pdf files available):
Tern Lake Junction, Seward Highway to Soldotna, AK
Soldotna, AK to Homer, AK
The Sterling Highway begins 90 miles south of Anchorage at its junction with the Seward Highway at Tern Lake, travels west to Soldotna, then south to Homer. The Sterling Highway passes through Chugach National Forest and Kenai National Wildlife Refuge lands. For sportfishermen, the Sterling accesses Kenai Peninsula lakes, rivers and streams, and the waters of Cook Inlet. Most of the Sterling Highway is 2 lanes, with some passing lanes, and a few short sections of 4-lane highway. The Sterling Highway opened in the fall of 1950, and was named in honor of Hawley Sterling, an engineer of the Alaska Road Commission.
The MILEPOST® Quick Reference Log
Mileposts reflect distance from Seward (S), followed by distance from Anchorage (A) and Homer (H).
- S 37 A 90 H 142.5 Junction of the Sterling Highway with the Seward Highway at Tern Lake.
- S 44.9 A 97.9 H 134.6 Cafe, gas, lodging, RV park, bar. Junction with Quartz Creek Road to day-use areas and USFS campground on Kenai Lake and Crescent Creek USFS campground.
- S 47.7 A 100.7 H 131.8 Turnoff for Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge and RV Park.
- S 48 A 101 H 131.5 Cooper Landing State Recreation Site; boat launch, day-use area.
- S 48.3 A 101.3 H 131.2 Drifter’s Lodge; cabins, Kenai River rafting and fishing trips.
- S 48.4 A 101.4 H 131.1 COOPER LANDING (pop. 293); food, gas, lodging, camping.
- S 48.5 A 101.5 H 131 The Hutch B&B, lodging.
- S 49.7 A 102.7 H 129.8 Kenai Riverside Campground, RV Park and B&B.
- S 49.9 A 102.9 H 129.6 Alaska Rivers Co.; Kenai River trips.
- S 50.1 A 103.1 H129.4 Kenai River Trips with Alaska Wildland Adventures.
- S 50.5 A 103.5 H 129 Cooper Creek USFS Campground.
- S 52.6 A 105.6 H 126.9 Russian River USFS Campground and K'Beq Heritage Site
- S 54.9 A 107.9 H 124.2 Kenai Russian River Access/Sportsman's Access Site/Kenai-Russian River Ferry entrance.
- S 58 A 111 H 121.5 Junction with Skilak Lake Road which loops southwest to recreation sites in Kenai National Wildlife Refuge.
- S 60 A 113 H 119.1 Jean Lake Campground.
- S 68.8 A 121.8 H 110.6 Petersen Lake and Kelly Lake public campgrounds.
- S 71.2 A 124.2 H 107.9 Watson Lake public campground.
- S 80.3 A 133.3 H 99.2 Acess to Bing’s Landing State Recreation Site; camping.
- S 81 A 134 H 98.5 STERLING (pop. 5,690); food, gas, diesel, lodging, camping. Bing Brown's RV Park & Motel.
- S 81.2 A 134.2 H 98.3 Moose River RV & Auto Parts; phone (907) 262-5333.
- S 81.7 A 134.7 H 97/8 Gas, diesel, food.
- S 81.9 A 134.9 H97.6 Izaak Walton State Recreation Site; camping, boat launch.
- S 82.5 A 135.5 H 97 Bill White’s Alaska Sports Lodge; lodging.
- S 83.4 A 136.4 H 96.1 Junction with Swanson River Road to canoe trails; Sterling Baptist Church. The Wash Out Laundromat, 0.1 mile north. Alaska Canoe & RV Park at Milepost 84 offer rentals and shuttle services for canoeing the Swanswon River system.
- S 84 A 137 H 95.5 Alaska Canoe & RV Park; cabins, gear rental, shuttle service, charters, campground.
- S 84.9 A 137.9 H 94.6 Turnoff to south for Scout Lake Loop Road for Scout Lake State Recreation Site (0.1 mile) and Morgan’s Landing State Recreation Site (2.4 mile); camping, Kenai River bank fishing access.
- S 88 A 141 H 91.5 St.Theresa Drive.
- S 88.3 A 141.3 H 91.2 Alaska Horn & Antler Carvings and Rock Shop; phone (907) 262-9759.
- S 88.8 A 141.8 H 90.7 Gas station.
- S 91.3 A 144.3 H 88.2 Gas, diesel, grocery, liquor.
- S 93.8 A 146.8 H 85.3 Brewery to south; gourmet pizza, sandwiches, desserts and ales on tap.
- S 94 A 147 H 85.1 Fred Meyer's (store, gas, fastfood) to south, Sports Grill to north. East Redoubt Avenue to south leads to Swiftwater Park Soldotna city campground.
- S 94.2 A 147.2 H 85.3 Junction with Kenai Spur Highway at Soldotna Y. Cornerstone Market with bookstore, cafe and deli/market in red building to south. Westbound traffic take right fork north for Soldotna businesses then continue 11 miles north for city of KENAI (pop. 7,132); all services. Kenai Spur ends at Discovery Campground in Captain Cook State Recreation Area (39 miles). For more Soldotna businesses and visitor information, and for Homer, westbound traffic continue on Sterling Highway.
- S 95.1 A 148.1 H 84.4 Sportsman's Warehouse with fishing and camping gear.
- S 95.2 A 148.2 H 84.3 SOLDOTNA (pop. 4,299) is a retail, governmental and medical hub for the Kenai Peninsula; all services are available.
- S 95.6 A 148.6 H 83.5 Kenai River (David Douthit-Veterans Memorial) Bridge. Soldotna Visitor Information Center to west at south end of bridge.
- S 96 A 149 H 83.1 Junction with north end of Kalifornsky Beach (K-Beach) Road; access to campground,Diamond M Ranch Resort. Turnoff to east for Funny River Road.
- S 98 A 151 H 81.9 Kenai National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center. Turn off on Ski Hill Road to east.
- S 102 A 155 H 81.5 Gas, diesel, convenience store.
- S 108.6 A 161.6 H 70.9 Junction with south end of Kalifornsky (K-Beach) Beach Road.
- S 109 A 162 H 70.5 KASILOF (pop. 560); general store.
- S 109.2 A 162.2 H 70.3 Kasilof Riverview Tesoro; groceries, gas, diesel, propane; espresso; liquor store; tackle; ATM, fax, copier; phone (907) 262-1573.
- S 109.5 A 162.5 H 70 Turnoff for Kasilof River State Recreation Site (boat launch, picnicking).
- S 110.2 A 163.2 H 68.9 Central Emergency Services/Kasilof Station to west; turnoff to east for access to Johnson Lake State Recreation Area, Tustumena Lake and Kasilof RV Park.
- S 111 A 164 H 68.5 Junction with Cohoe Loop Road; access to Crooked Creek State Recreation Site (1.5 miles, turn right on Rilinda Road then keep to left 0.4 miles).
- S 117.4 A 170.4 H 62.1 Clam Gulch State Recreation Area; camping, clam digging.
- S 118.2 A 171.1 H 61.4 CLAM GULCH (pop. 175); post office and lodge.
- S 127 A 180 H 52.5 Private RV Park.
- S 130.5 A 183.5 H 49 Ninilchik Point Overnighter. Cabins, camping and RV parking with hook ups; (907) 567-3423.
- S 132.2 A 185.2 H 47.3 Heavenly Sights Charters and Campground.
- S 134.5 A 187.5 H 45 Ninilchik River Campground.
- S 134.6 A 187.6 H 44.9 Turnoff to west on Orthodox Avenue for Holy Transfiguration of Our Lord Russian Orthodox Church.
- S 134.9 A 187.8 H 44.7 Ninilchik River Scenic Overlook campground.
- S 135.1 A 188.1 H 44.4 NINILCHIK VILLAGE turnoff; access to Ninilchik Beach Campground. Beachcomber Motel & RV Park.
- S 135.4 A 188.4 H 44.1 Alaskan Angler RV Resort, Cabins and Afishunt Charters.
- S 135.5 A 188.5 H 44 Ninilchik View State Campground.
- S 135.8 A 188.8 H 43.7 Afishunt Charters and Cabins and Ninilchik General Store (groceries, bait, licenses, supplies).
- S 135.9 A 188.9 H 44.6 Junction with Oil Well Road; gas station. NINILCHIK (pop. 853) has all services.
- S 136.2 A 189.2 H 43.3 Deep Creek View Campground and J&J Smart Charters.
- S 136.7 A 189.7 H 42.8 Deep Creek North (camping) and Deep Creek South (day-use area).
- S 137.3 A 190.3 H 42.2 Turnoff to west downhill for Deep Creek State Recreation Area.
- S 151.9 A 204.9 H 27.6 Stariski State Recreation Site campground.
- S 154.1 A 207.1 H 25.4 Timberline Creations Gift Shop.
- S 156.3 A 209.3 H 23.1 Grocery, 24-hour gas station.
- S 156.4 A 209.4 H 23.1 ANCHOR POINT (pop. 2,007) post office. Visitor information.
- S 156.7 A 209.7 H 22.7 Junction. Access east on North Fork Road for Sleepy Bear Cabins (0.8 mile) and the Russian “Samovar” Café (9 miles).
- S 157.1 A 210.1 H 22.4 Junction with Anchor River (Beach) Road; food and lodging. Access to campgrounds and fishing in Anchor River State Recreation Area. Anchor River (Beach) Road dead ends at Cook Inlet at the most westerly point in North America accessible by continuous road system.
- S 161 A 214 H 18.5 Black Water Bend Espresso, phone (907) 235-6884 and order your coffee ahead of time.
- S 164.8 A 217.8 H 14.7 Junction with Old Sterling Highway.
- S 169 A 222 H 10.5 Gas, groceries and snacks, RV park.
- S 169.6 A 222.6 H 9.9 Popular viewpoint/rest area for photos of Homer Spit and Kachemak Bay.
- S 172.5 A 225.5 H 6.6 Best Western Bidarka Inn.
- S 172.8 A 225.8 H 6.7 Oceanview RV Park. Turnoff for Pratt Museum in HOMER (pop. 5,153); all services.
- S 173 A 226 H 6.5 Homer Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center.
- S 173.2 A 226.2 H 6.3 Alaska Islands & Ocean Visitor Center.
- S 177.7 A 230.7 H 1.4 Heritage RV Park.
- S 178.8 A 231.8 H 0.3 Homer Spit Campground (907) 235-8206.
- S 179 A 232 H 0.1 Alaska State Ferry Terminal.
- S 179.1 A 232.1 H 0 Sterling Highway ends at end of Homer Spit. Land’s End Resort.