Connects: Watson Lake, YT, to Klondike Highway
Route#: Yukon Highway 4
Length: 362 miles
Road Surface: 40% paved, 60% gravel
Season: Open all year
Map (1 detailed pdf file available):
Watson Lake, YT to Junction with Klondike Highway
Named for Robert Campbell, the first white man to penetrate what is now known as Yukon Territory, this all-weather road leads 362 miles/583 km northwest from the Alaska Highway at Watson Lake, to junction with the Klondike Highway just north of Carmacks. The Robert Campbell Highway was completed in 1968 and closely follows sections of the fur trade route established by Robert Campbell. Campbell was a Hudson’s Bay Co. trader who was sent into the region in the 1840s to find a route west into the unexplored regions of central Yukon.
The MILEPOST® Quick Reference Log
Miles from Watson Lake (WL) shown.
- WL 0 WATSON LAKE (pop. 1,563); all services. Junction of the Campbell Highway with the Alaska Highway. Watson Lake Signforest is located at this junction, adjacent Visitor Information Centre; check Campbell Highway road conditions at visitor center before driving.
- WL 6.3 Access west 1.7 miles to Watson Lake Airport. The terminal at the airport was built in 1942 and is a designated Heritage Building.
- WL 50.5 Simpson Lake Yukon government campground.
- WL 67 Junction with Nahanni Range Road/Yukon Highway 10 to Tungsten, NWT, company town for the CanTung mine. Road not recommended for tourist travel.
- WL 106.5 Frances Lake Yukon government campground.
- WL 144.8 Finlayson Lake Viewpoint to east.
- WL 220.5 Junction with South Canol Road which leads south 129 miles to Johnson's Crossing on the Alaska Highway.
- WL 225.4 Access road leads 7 miles/11.2 km to ROSS RIVER (pop. 352); all services.
- WL 226.5 Lapie River Canyon Yukon government campground.
- WL 257.5 Paved access road leads 5.6 miles/9 km to FARO (pop. 380); gas, food, lodging, camping.
- WL 290.9 Drury Creek Yukon government campground.
- WL 311.8 Little Salmon Lake Yukon government campground.
- WL 337.5 Frenchman Lake Yukon government campground 2.8 miles north.
- WL 345.6 Columbian Disaster Rest Area.
- WL 362.2 Junction with the North Klondike Highway (Yukon Highway 2), which leads to Dawson City, YT (see log of Klondike Loop).