Ross River is located on the Pelly River, 233 miles northwest of Watson Lake via a 7 mile side road from the Campbell Highway. The North Canol Road begins across the Pelly River from Ross River.
Visitor Information: In Faro, at the Campbell Region Interpretive Centre.
Ross River was named by Robert Campbell in 1843, for Chief Trader Donald Ross of the Hudson’s Bay Co. The settlement grew with the building of the Canol pipeline service road in WWII. Completion of the Robert Campbell Highway in 1968, linked Ross River to the rest of the territory by road. Today, Ross River is a supply and communication base for prospectors testing and mining mineral bodies in this region. Visitor services in Ross River include lodging and dining at the T&D hotel (seasonal); gas, diesel, groceries and some merchandise at the Dene General Store;, a bank and a post office. Camping at Lapie Canyon Yukon government campground north of town.