Telkwa is located 9 miles east of Smithers and 30 miles west of Houston on Yellowhead Highway 16, at the confluence of the Telkwa and Bulkley rivers.
Visitor Information: Visitor Infocentre at the Telkwa Museum.
The first townsite in the area was Aldermere, built on the bluff above present-day Telkwa in 1904 to serve travelers on the Telegraph Trail. When construction began on the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway, residents and businesses from Aldermere moved down to the river to be closer to the railway and a water supply. A fire destroyed much of Telkwa in 1914, and many businesses moved to the railroad’s divisional point at Smithers. Today, Telkwa is a village serving highway travelers with food, gas, lodging and camping at Fort Telkwa RV Park on the east edge of town. There is a convenience store, post office, gas station and auto repair. The Wooly Ewe at 1655 Riverside St., phone 250-876-8837, is open Wednesdays–Saturdays with fine yarns.
- Eddy Park on the Bulkley River is a good spot for picnicking.
- Historic walking tour to see St. Stephen’s Anglican Church (now Mount Zion Lutheran), built in 1910, and other heritage buildings dating back to 1908.
- Kinsman Barbecue is held Labour Day weekend.