Gustavus is located on the north shore of Icy Strait, 48 miles northwest of Juneau. Gustavus is accessible only by boat, Alaska Marine Highway ferry or by plane.
Gateway to Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve, the small community of Gustavus is located just outside the park boundary. It is 10 miles by road from Gustavus to the national park visitor facilities at Bartlett Cove.
Homesteaded in 1914 as a small agricultural community, Gustavus was incorporated as a city on April 1, 2004, but it retains the charm of a small and remote settlement.
Visitor Information: Gustavus Visitors Association; phone 907-500-5143.
Gustavus has a post office; library with internet access; 4 churches; a K–12 school; a general store with groceries and hardware; cafe; liquor store; 2 coffee shops; a natural foods store (with a deli); and fish-processing/retail store. Fishing supplies and licenses may be purchased locally.
Accommodations in Gustavus at Annie Mae Lodge, Glacier Bay Lodge & Tours, and at other inns and lodges, and bed and breakfasts. The lodges and inns serve meals for guests; drop-in customers check for space-available meal reservations. Glacier Bay Lodge, located in the park at the end of the park road at Bartlett Cove, has a restaurant and lounge. (Bartlett Cove also offers the only campground in the Gustavus area—Bartlett Cove walk-in, tenting only.)
Shop for locally-made treasures created by an amazing number of talented local artists. Painters, potters, sculptors, jewelers and woodcarvers fill the galleries, studios and shops with unique items.
- Charter a boat for sportfishing (salmon, halibut), sightseeing Icy Strait and Glacier Bay, and whale watching.
- The Gustavus area is very flat and bike riding is a popular way to get around. Most inns offer bicycles for use by guests.
- Visit the Gustavus Dray, a pre-WWII replica of a Mobil gas station that has working 1937 Wayne 60 gas pump, a gift shop and a petroleum museum.
- Excursion boats operated by the park concession depart from nearby Bartlett Cove for tours of Glacier Bay.