Carcross is located 44 miles/71 km south-southeast of Whitehorse and 65 miles north of Skagway, AK, on the South Klondike Highway.
Originally known as Caribou Crossing, because of the large number of caribou that traversed the narrows here between Bennett and Nares lakes, Carcross became a stopping place for gold stampeders during the Klondike Gold Rush. It was a major stop on the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad from 1900 until 1982, when the railroad ceased through train service to Whitehorse. In the early days, passengers and freight transferred from rail to sternwheelers at Carcross. A grocery store, gift shops, gas, camping and lodging are available in Carcross.
- The White Pass & Yukon Route Railway currently runs a popular trip down to Skagway from Carcross.
- Historic attractions here incluce St. Saviour's Anglican Church (1902) and the little locomotive Duchess, which operated until 1921.
- Carcross Desert, the world's small desert, is located aout 2 miles from Carcross at Milepost S 66.6 South Klondike Highway.
- Caribou Crossing Trading Post at Milepost S 67.9 has a wildlife museum (includes the world's largest polar bear and a life-size woolly mammoth), dog cart rides and a cafe with soups and sandwiches.
- Emerald or Rainbow Lake, one of the most colorful lakes in the Yukon is located approximately 6 miles north of Carcross on South Klondike Highway.