Dawson City is Milepost 0 of the Alaska Highway; 367 miles northwest of Edmonton, AB, and 250 miles northeast of Prince George, BC.
Dawson Creek (like Dawson City in Yukon) was named for George Mercer Dawson of the Geological Survey of Canada, whose geodetic surveys of this region in 1879 helped lead to its development as an agricultural settlement. The Northern Alberta Railway reached Dawson Creek in 1931. As a railhead, Dawson Creek was an important funnel for supplies and equipment during construction of the Alaska Highway in 1942. Today, significant industries in this area’s economy are oil and gas exploration and servicing, agriculture, forestry and tourism.
Dawson Creek offers lodging in motels/hotels as well as bed-and-breakfasts, and dining in restaurants and fast-food outlets. There are gas stations and RV service at United Spring and Brake Ltd. Camping at the Northern Lights RV Park, Tubby's RV Park & Car Wash phone 250-782-2584, and Mile "O" Park adjacent Pioneer Village and Rotary Lake. Dawson Creek has laundromats, department stores, banks, grocery, drug and hardware stores, antique shops and other specialty shops. The city has a modern hospital, a public library, a college, church and recreation facilities. The Chances Gaming Entertainment Centre offers gambling and restaurant and lounge.
- The Alaska Highway House at 10201 - 10th St. showcases the history of the Alaska Highway.
- Mile 0 marker of the Alaska Highway is located in downtown Dawson Creek and a popular photo subject.
- Dawson Creek Station Museum, at Northern Alberta Railways (NAR) Park, displays pioneer artifacts and wildlife collections.
- Dawson Creek Art Gallery, housed in a huge wooden grain elevator, features local and regional artists’ work.
- Walter Wright Pioneer Village contains an impressive collection of local pioneer buildings and recently built replicas.
- Picnic and swim at Mile 0 Rotary Park.
- Stretch your legs on the scenic Dawson Creek Walking Path.
- Tour Dawson Creek’s murals, which portray aspects of Alaska Highway construction.
- Enjoy slots, bingo and dining at Chances Gaming Entertainment Centre.