Edmonton is located at the junction of Alberta Highway 2 and Yellowhead Highway 16, 180 miles north of Calgary and 363 miles southeast of Dawson Creek, BC.
Edmonton Tourism, phone 1-800-463-4667.
Edmonton is the capital of Alberta, located at the geographic centre of the province. It began as a fur-trading post of the Hudson’s Bay Co. Edmonton was also a gateway to the North for many gold stampeders during the Klondike Gold Rush of 1898-99. The discovery of oil in the province in 1947 made Edmonton the “Oil Capital of Canada.” Today the city is the hub for extensive oil and gas development as well as coal, forestry and agriculture. A sports-minded city, Edmonton is home to the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League and the Cracker Cats baseball team.
A major metropolitan area, Edmonton has all visitor services available: Lodging at major-chain hotels/motels; dining at hundreds of restaurants and fast-food outlets; camping at area RV parks, including Glowing Embers RV Park & Travel Centre.
- West Edmonton Mall, the world’s largest shopping mall, features hundreds of stores and restaurants, an enormous indoor water park, an ice skating rink, miniature golf course, and more.
- Free tours of the imposing Alberta Legislature building.
- The Royal Alberta Museum features aboriginal culture and natural history.
- The ultra-modern steel and glass Art Gallery of Alberta, known for its exhibits of contemporary and historical Canadian Art.
- Fort Edmonton Park, Canada’s largest living history park, re-creates life as it was in bygone eras, from an 1846 Hudson’s Bay trading post to the 1920s.
- Known as the “festival city,” Edmonton hosts more than 30 renowned music, arts and cultural festivals throughout the year, in addition to regular theatre and symphony seasons.
- The Muttart Conservatory showcases plants from the temperate, tropical and arid climates of the world.
- Telus World of Science, Edmonton’s space and science centre, has the largest planetarium dome in North America and an IMAX theatre.
- Valley Zoo is a great destination for travelers with children, with its daily elephant and sea lion demonstrations, pony rides and paddle boats.