Lethbridge is located 137 miles south of Calgary and 63 miles north of the U.S.–Canada international border at the junction of Alberta Highways 3, 4 and 5.
|In December 1869, 2 American traders built a trading post near the present-day site of Lethbridge. The post, named Fort Hamilton, became known as Fort Whoop-Up because of its whiskey trade. Alarmed by the activities of the whiskey traders, Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald formed the North West Mounted Police (NWMP), now the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, to bring law and order to the West. The NWMP reached Fort Whoop-Up on Oct. 9, 1874, and immediately put a stop to the whiskey trade.
Early development of Lethbridge commenced in the late 1870s with development of a steady coal market and permanent settlement. The Canadian Pacific Railway constructed the High Level Bridge at Lethbridge in 1909. Today, Lethbridge is Alberta's third largest city. It has a strong agricultural economy and is home to the University of Lethbridge and the Hurricanes hockey team.